Friday, March 28, 2014

Revised Fookend

Food weekend or, Fookend.



It was a nice cool Saturday evening. Normally i would grill when i feel in the mood to cook as i did on this night but i wanted to mix things up a bit. Probably cause of the fact I'm poor and there was much of anything when it came to food in the house. I looked in the freezer and saw there was some stew meet. I sat it out so it could thaw while I contemplated on what to do. I really had no clue what I was doing so I had to seek help of some kind to make something taste good out of this. So I called the best expert i knew on stew making, my sister. I called her up and he ran threw a few ideas on what to do. I headed to the store to track some of the ingredients that I didn’t have. Some vegetables spices and the secret ingredient, molasses. Mean while i called my girlfriend to make sure she would want to eat some before jumping off the deep end to complete this project. Once I had her on boat with the project I went gunge hoe on making my first stew. Just the right tempura, a pinch of this, not to much of that.  Ok, maybe that was way to much spice. It was to late now. It was in the stew. 3 hours later I tasted this final project and it was delicious. Not bad for my first try. Other then a little to much molasses it turned out pretty good. So it would seem I’m a successful cook. The bad thing now is that my girlfriend always want me to cook now. The past year I have developed a cooking habit and she seems like I’m the better cook and wants me to cook most of the time. I come from a a family that the men didn’t do the cooking. So it’s a new experience. I’m not sure how I feel about that either. “Why did the house wife cross the road? Who cares why isn’t she in the kitchen?” Thanks to my sister and girlfriend It would not have been possible to me to complete such a great stew. I cant wait to eat some more of it tonight. It consists of stew meat, corn, peas, water, beef bullion, molasses, oregano, onion, thyme, and basil.  After one hour and thirty minutes cooked on med to low it was done. I can taste it now!

Now that I have confidence of making things from scratch, I made up the rest of the stew meat last night with pineapple and apples. Made it into a quick stir fry. That was a fail. That would have been better on a shish kabob then a stir fry. Apples don’t cook well. They were granny apples. I think a better rout would have been to dip them in a caramel or chocolate for desert.
For desert we had tiramisu. To this day I still don’t really like it that much and the thought of this took me back. The reason I’m scared from this is because of barbeque sauce was on it instead of chocolate. I have never liked barbeque sauce and still don’t. My sister and I order some after we ate some dinner at a Italian restaurant in Bolivar. I remember our meal wasn’t that great and our waitress was a very ditsy. I took the first bit and was mortified buy what I was tasting. It has a bitterly weird taste that left me so puzzled and I instantly spit out what was in my mouth. Amber my sister saw this horrified look on my face and had to try some as well. She could believe that tiramisu could be so bad. Or maybe I was joking. She took a bit and was equally dismayed to what it was. “It’s not tiramisu that’s for sure,” she said.

I feel that I have the power to cook great things. I have even thought that going to a chef school to be a professional cook. Everyone seems to love the way I cook. I do like to go to great expense to make everything that make taste as best as possible. I enjoy the fact what I make with my hands is something disire to have and eat. Food is a need. Just becuase it is a need doesn't mean it can't be amazing to taste. I grew up eating potatos and green beans out of the can, with some kind of bland meat for dinner everynight. The rare ocansion I had equizzit means I would indulge in all the flavors. As I have become older I'm learning what is good food. When we engage in the activity of eating, our brain lights up, using more brain power then any other activity we do. Amazing to think just tasting an apple would do this. The taste buds on the tough is telling me if I like the sour taste; but wait, it's sweet also, giving the ok to swallow the first bit after chewing and squishing the sour yet sweet juices out of the bland, and little crunchy apple.

Food is engaging. You can have a nice date over dinner. Food brings family together. A business meeting held over lunch is a great way to grow ideas. Food bring people together. Friend getting together over a nice meal. Our stomach is a great way to stimulate our brain to have conversation and build relationships. Or just to take a walk down memory lane with an old friend. Maybe make future goals. Eating refocus our bring and body for the day. Just don't eat to much! Just enough to satisfy the mind and body.

No comments:

Post a Comment